BetterBriefs founders Matt Davies and Pieter-Paul von Weiler are two ex-agency strategists that have conducted the largest and first-ever global survey into client briefs.
Their findings – described by Mark Ritson as “the most scary and remarkable bit of data I’ve ever seen” – are igniting conversations about briefs worldwide.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How you can recapture up to 30% of your marketing budget by writing better briefs
- Why 80% of clients think they’re good at writing briefs but only 10% of agencies agree
- The common problems with briefing, why they arise and the issues they create
- What you can do to improve the briefing process
- The importance of having a strategy from which your brief draws from/links to
- The importance of clear targeting and positioning
- The 3 kinds of objectives to include in your briefs
- How to evaluate the work that comes back from your agencies to know if it’s on brief
- Some tips to brief multiple agencies and in-house marketing teams
Since launching their business, BetterBriefs, at IPA’S EffWorks last year, Matt and Pieter-Paul are on a mission to help brands write better briefs for agencies and through their training and brief advisory services.
Enjoy the show!
P.S. – As always, we have detailed notes available for this episode. To access these, head to our website, look out for this episode and download the PDF summary notes of our conversation with all the tips and strategies laid out in an easy-to-read format.
- Make sure you also download a copy of the best practice guide ‘The best way for a client to brief an agency’ written by BetterBriefs and Mark Ritson in partnership with the IPA. This contains the research findings and the tips and strategies we discuss in the show.
- Find Pieter-Paul von Weiler and Matt Davies on LinkedIn and tell them you heard them on the podcast, or shoot them an email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find out more about BetterBriefs
Contact Growth Generators
- Find out how Ty and Growth Generators can help you create a modern marketing team that drives growth using our 5-stage team transformation framework.
- Follow or connect with Ty on LinkedIn or Twitter and let us know what you think of the show.
Help us continue to help you
- Hit follow so you get each new episode as it drops to get more tips and insights to build a high-performance marketing team.
- Please take a moment to rate and review us on your favourite platform.
We love hearing from our listeners and your ratings and feedback help us continue to attract the best guests and improve the show.
This podcast was produced by Ty Hayes and edited by Lewis Hallam.
Thank you and enjoy the show!