Mal Chia shares how measuring what matters can fuel explosive growth.
Ryderwear is a fitness apparel, footwear brand and e-commerce retailer, with distribution centres in Australia, the UK and the US. PUSHH fitness is a related fitness app, with a focus on strength fitness for women.
In this episode, we unpack:
- What it was like to work at Uber and Uber Eats in the early days when they flew new employees to “Uberversity” in San Francisco;
- How Mal’s interesting career has led him to his current role at Ryderwear and PUSHH;
- How Mal has rapidly grown and scaled a modern marketing team at Ryderwear, how the PUSHH product team works, and how the marketing team works with other functions;
- How Mal has created alignment and driven effectiveness in his team through a laser focus on clear accountability and measuring the things that matter;
- How using Wildly Important Goals, also known as “WIGs” can be effective to drive team alignment;
- How Mal has created a data driven culture at Ryderwear and how this has led to new opportunities to drive profitability and success for the company;
- Whether it’s possible to create a startup culture within a marketing team inside a traditional company versus a Startup, and what leaders can do to nurture this; and
- Some leadership lessons and failures that have helped shape Mal’s leadership style today.
Mal is part marketer, part startup guy, and part technologist. He’s attracted to startups and scale-ups due to the fast pace and impact that you can deliver in a short space of time. Since joining Ryderwear as the CMO, Mal has helped grow the company by 150% in 12 months.
As always, a lot has been covered in this episode, head to the Podcast section of our website here and download the detailed notes that we take on every episode.
- Eric Schmidt, Jonathan Rosenburg and Alan Eagle – Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley’s Bill Campbell.
- Chris McChesney – The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals.
Contact Mal Chia
- Find Mal on LinkedIn or via his website and mention you heard him on the podcast. Find out more about Ryderwear and PUSHH.
Contact Growth Generators
- Find out how Ty and Growth Generators can help you design and build a modern marketing team that drives growth using our 5-stage transformation framework. Follow or connect with Ty on LinkedIn.
If you enjoy this episode please remember to subscribe so you get each new episode as it drops each week to get more tips and insights to build a high-performance marketing team, tell someone about the podcast who you think may benefit, or leave us a review!